This week it’s Pride week in Amsterdam (the Netherlands). I made these cute bees, which are a cute way of showing your pride
I started by making the bi bee, but also made some variations (enbee for our enby/non-binary friends and a lesbeean for the lesbians), the patterns of which I’ll also share in this blog.
- Pink, purple and blue yarn (I used Scheepjes Catona)
- Little strand of black yarn
- Little piece of white felt
- Crochet hook (I used a 2.5 mm hook)
- Yarn needle
- sc – single crochet
- inc – increase (sc2 in one stitch)
- dec – decrease (go from 2 stitches to one), I recommend using invisible decrease
I made my bee with a 2.5 mm crochet hook and Scheepjes Catona yarn. This made my bee 3 cm long.
Because of the size of the bee, it can be difficult to crochet. Do you want a bigger bee? Then you can use a thicker yarn and bigger crochet hook, like I explain here.
The bee is worked in the round.
We start with the face and end with the backside.
Start with pink
1. sc 6x in magic ring (6)
2. inc 6x (12)
3. (inc, sc) 6x (18)
4. sc18 (18)
Switch to purple
5. sc18 (18)
6. sc18 (18)
7. sc18 (18)
Switch to blue
8. sc18 (18)
9. sc18 (18)
10. (dec, sc) 6x (12)
Stuff the bee
11. dec 6x (6)
- Embroider french knots for the eyes in between row 2 and 3 on both sides.
- Cut out wings from white felt, my wings are 3 cm in wingspan because I liked the look of small wings, but you can also change the size.
- Sew the wings on the bee with purple yarn on the purple stripe at the top of the bee.
Using this pattern, you can also make other pride bees. I made an enby bee (en-bee) and a lesbian bee (les-bee-an) using almost the same pattern.
I used the 5-stripe lesbian flag because I could not fit the other commonly used 7-stripe versions into such a little bee. But of course feel free to make your own variations!
For these bees, I repeated round 8 (sc18) two times, so that the stripes are all similar in size.
round 1-3: yellow
round 4-6: white
round 7,8,8: purple
round 9-11: black
round 1-3: dark orange
round 4-5: light orange
round 6-7: white
round 8,8: light pink
round 9-11: dark pink
I always love seeing what people make with my patterns, so if you share your creation on Instagram or Facebook, be sure to tag me (@WithLoveFeli) so I can see what you made! You can also view my patterns on ravelry. I’d love it if you make a project here so I can see your results.