Christmas is getting closer and closer, so today I’ll share a pattern for a cute reindeer. Before I have shared a similar pattern for a snowman. This reindeer has the same kind of body, so they look super cute together!
I made my reindeer with a 2.5 mm crochet hook and Scheepjes Catona yarn. This made my reindeer 3.5 cm tall.
Because of the size of the reindeer, it can be difficult to crochet. Do you want a bigger reindeer? Then you can use a thicker yarn and bigger crochet hook, like I explain here.
- Dark brown yarn (I used Scheepjes Catona 162 Black coffee)
- Light brown yarn (I used Scheepjes Catona 503 Hazelnut)
- Little pieces of red and black yarn
- Yarn in 2 colors of your choosing for the scarf (I used red and green glitter yarn)
- Brown felt
- Fabric glue
- Crochet hook (I used a 2.5 mm hook)
- Yarn needle
- sc – single crochet
- inc – increase (sc2 in one stitch)
- dinc – double increase (sc3 in one stitch)
- dec – decrease (go from 2 stitches to one), I recommend using invisible decrease
- slst – slip stitch
- BLO – work in back loops only
- FLO – work in front loops only
The reindeer and snout are worked in the round. The reindeer is worked from the bottom up (so you start with the body, then the head)
Body (dark brown)
1. sc 6x in magic ring (6)
2. inc 6x (12)
3. (inc, sc3) 3x (15)
4. sc15 (15)
5. sc15 (15)
6. (dec, sc3) 3x (12)
Start stuffing the body
7. dec6 (6)
8. FLO: (inc, sc) 3x (9)
9. (inc, sc2) 3x (12)
10. sc12 (12)
11. (dec, sc2) 3x (9)
Finish stuffing the head
12. (dec, sc) 3x (6)
Ear (2x) – dark brown
chain 2, turn, 1sc in the 2nd loop from the hook
Snout – light brown
1. 4sc in MR (4)
Finish off using a slip stitch
Make a chain of 20. Knot 2 little pieces of yarn to the end of a contrasting color, to give it a fringe.
Cut the shape out of the felt. Is your felt very flimsy? Then you can glue 2 layers on each other before cutting out the shape.
My body was 3.5 cm tall and my antlers were 1 cm tall.
Are you finished with your reindeer? Then it’s time to assemble!
- Sew the ears to the side of the head, around row 10-11 of the body
- Sew a nose on the snout by doing 1 stitch with red yarn
- Sew the snout on the middle of the face, just under the ears
- Sew french knots on row 10-11 for the eyes. Here is a video if you don’t know how french knots work
- Glue the yarn just above the eyes. I put some glue in the “holes” your crochet work has and put the bottom of the antlers in there, to make it stick. If this doesn’t work, you can glue the antlers to the back of the ears.
- Knot the scarf around the neck of your reindeer
Now your reindeer is finished! You can loop a piece of yarn to the top of the reindeer, so that you can hang it in your Christmas tree! This reindeer is also small and light enough to send in a letter.
I always love seeing what people make with my patterns, so if you share your creation on Instagram or Facebook, be sure to tag me (@WithLoveFeli) so I can see what you made! You can also view my patterns on ravelry. I’d love it if you make a project here so I can see your results.